The concept of using stable isotopes to label and track microbes and metabolites of interest is a very recent development in microbial ecology. This comprehensive, carefully edited book, featuring contributions from world leaders in the development and application of these technologies, is the first to present stable isotope probing (SIP) and its related technologies in a single volume.
Divided into three parts, the book begins with methodology, guiding researchers through the basic, tested, and proven protocols including DNA, RNA, protein, and phospholipid fatty acid (PLFA) SIP, from concept and history through detailed methodology, troubleshooting, and interpretation, to optimal and future uses. Next, the book explores the important and emerging applications of SIP in environmental microbiology, ranging from bioremediation and gene mining to carbon tracking and gut microflora function. The book concludes with explorations of further elegant isotope labeling technologies such as Raman-FISH, NanoSIMS, and isotope arrays.
Stable Isotope Probing and Related Technologies is recommended not only for students and researchers in environmental microbiology, but also for those who can apply these cutting-edge technologies to such fields as genomics, biotechnology, and medical microbiology. The book also provides readers with access to the current literature, making it the ideal starting point for investigating, developing, and implementing stable isotope technologies.
· Reviews the state of the art of stable isotope labeling technologies and their applications in a single volume
· Presents detailed introductions and protocols for all the principal SIP methods from key practitioners in the field worldwide
· Offers an extensive view of the breadth of investigative possibilities available with SIP and related technologies
· Covers the range of current SIP technologies from simple 13C-labeled biomarkers to sophisticated isotope labeling of complex carbon sources
· Explains how SIP applications address important questions in environmental microbiology, ecology, genomics, and metabolic function
Hardcover, 364 pages, full-color insert, illustrations, index.